Thursday, December 13, 2007

What to say....

What to say to a friend or family member who finds out her baby will be born with Down syndrome:

1. Congratulations

2. We can't wait to meet her/him

3. We will be here for you

4. You will be great parents

5. Congratulations!

4 comments:

Casdok said...

A difficult one.
When my neice was born and was told she my have CP the last person my sister wanted to speak to was me!
Apprenlty because i would be too positive and my sister wanted to feel sorry for herself.
Neice didnt have CP.
So i havent a clue!!!

Anonymous said...

When I was pregnant with our Daughter we knew she had Down syndrome. Most everyone did not know what to say. Mostly it was "i'm so sorry" But we didn't feel that way. We ended feeling like having to console these people, saying "I'ts Okay"

Now I tell other parents Congratualtion! and that they are very Lucky!

Anonymous said...

There were a few people who said we were "lucky" or "fortunate" when we told them one of our triplets had Down syndrome. I didn't see it that way at the time. I was pissed off and extremely sad.
The best words were the welcoming ones, and I especially liked it when people could say something positive that was specific to her, like "she's beautiful" or "those saphire blue eyes are gorgeous".
(And just for the record...she IS gorgeous!)

Penny L. Richards said...

What I heard that worked when my son had a diagnosis at birth (not DS, a different chromosome thing):

1. What size is he? We want to get him something cute to wear.

2. What kind of cookies do you guys like? The kids want to bake some for me to bring some to the NICU.

3. Do you want to take a shower? I'll hold him while you do that.

4. He'll be fine.

5. You'll be fine.