Friday, February 29, 2008

Welcome Back

My son...he is coming back. He's been away for months and months. In his own world. A world filled with fear and anxiety. The one that exists in his head. Distracted. Irritable.

But he is almost all the way back now. Especially when we are home...but getting much better when he goes out as well. I'm hoping that soon we'll be able to get him slowly integrated back into an educational environment. He's been home since late last May.

His personality is coming back. His humor. Taking initiative. Getting more independent every day.

For the past several months morning has been the hardest time of day for Kellen. He hasn't been waking up on his own and often wants to sleep most of the day. When he does wake up he is often irritable and doesn't want to get showered or dressed. Sometimes it is not until 2pm or later before he will get dressed.

This morning I could hear him thumping around in his room at 8am. I fixed him a bagel and banana to eat in bed and then went off to the family room to do some computer work. I got a call a little while later from Sweet Husband letting me know that he had forgotten his cell phone at home. I always appreciate those calls so that I don't try to call him...only to experience the frustration of his phone ringing in the living room.

An hour later I'm still typing away on the computer when my home phone rings. The receiver is lying on my computer desk and I pick it up to read the caller ID. It is showing Sweet Husband's cell phone number. I think, That's weird...I thought he left it at home. Could it be dialing itself and calling me??

I answer it and hear my tinny voice coming from the other room. I get up from the computer and walk into the living room...there is Kellen fully dressed by 10am!!...holding Sweet Husband's cell phone in his hand with a huge smile on his face. Amazing!

I will never take moments like this for granted...they are too precious. I've missed my son so deeply and now he is coming back. It was his humor that I've missed the most. Welcome back.

7 comments:

catherine (fairchild) calhoun said...

Awesome.

Anonymous said...

I got tears in my eyes reading this. I'm so glad Kellen is finding his way back to you.

Anonymous said...

ah Kellen Phones Home!
wonderful , anne

Baby Island said...

YAYYYYYYYYY KELLEN!!!!!!!

OMG, I am so happy to read this.

I love it, I love it.

happy day mama!

Casdok said...

I too have a tear and a huge smile.

Anonymous said...

I haven't checked your blog in a while, and to tune in and read this first is fantastic! You and Kellen have made my day!

Lisa J.

Tasty said...

Struggling with anxiety and depression is SO VERY lonely, even when we're surrounded with people who adore us. I was lucky to have that, and it's obvious your son has tons of support, too. I'm happy for you and Kellen that he's recovering -- it's a very, very difficult, almost crushing, illness, and it takes a strong person to work his or her way through it. Cheers and love to you both.