Saturday, March 1, 2008

Slow Learner

It's been a little dream of mine that someday I might be able to get Kellen to like hanging out with me at Starbucks on Saturday mornings when his dad is at work. I don't know why...it just sounds like a fun and relaxing "weekend morning" thing to do.

This morning shortly after he woke up, I asked him if he'd like to go to Starbucks and get a Rice Krispie Treat. He didn't really answer in the affirmative, so I went to take a shower. When I was done I opened the bathroom door to find Kellen standing there fully dressed and with his coat on. I quickly got dressed and off we went to our neighborhood Starbucks.

I bought some coffee for myself and a toasted bagel and orange juice for Kellen. We sat at a small table in a sunny window to enjoy. Kellen seemed to be irritable and starting to shut down. He sat with his head down...but didn't touch his orange juice or bagel. Though he didn't say a thing...the "volcano" inside of him seemed to be building. I first gave him some time...hoping that he might reset and start to eat. Then, I started to problem solve in my mind. Was the environment too stimulating for him? Too many people? Too many loud sounds? Several minutes went by and he still seemed anxious and not able to reset. I carry Xanax in my purse for him just in case he has an anxiety attack and I started to think about giving him one...but he seemed too shut down to cooperate with taking it. Finally, I remembered...duh..."Did you want a Rice Krispie Treat?" As soon as I asked him, he picked up his bagel and started to eat. When I got back to the table with his snack...the bagel was nearly gone.

Sometimes I'm such a slow learner.

7 comments:

Baby Island said...

Baby Steps Mama.

Now I need to get my hands on a rice krispy treat.. Damn.

Casdok said...

But at least you did remember. :)

Anonymous said...

It's always the little things, isn't it?

I hope the rest of the morning was a success.

Anonymous said...

Kalen and I may be cut from the same cloth, as I ALSO shut down when promised a particular treat that is subsequently forgotten. You can ask my husband about how quickly he learned to stop offering me ice cream and then getting "too tired" for the trip to Baskin Robbins. :)
Daughter Joyful of OneGirlFriday.

Rob at Kintropy said...

Our kids have fantastic memories, too, particularly when treats or video game time is involved. Glad you remembered (and I share Kellen's love of that particular Starbuck's treat).

mommy~dearest said...

Hahaha. While I was reading, I said to myself, "but she said go to Starbucks and get a rice krispie treat! Where'd the bagel come from?!?"

I'm with ya, Kellen!

Chris said...

I was thinking the same thing as mommy-dearest. "How could she tempt him with a rice krispie treat and then get him a bagel?"

Lesson learned for mom!