Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Old Fart

Sweet Husband is working graveyard shift at the hospital this week, so this afternoon I took Kellen out to Panera for lunch so S.H. could sleep in peace and quiet. I brought a magazine for me and some art supplies for Kellen. That way we could hang out for awhile after lunch. Now that Kellen is feeling better, I think it is good for him to be out in public as much as he can tolerate. There is so much more to look at and experience then there is at home.

As I was reading at our table next to a sunny window, I overheard an old man behind me grousing about people coming to coffee shops, buying one cup of coffee and staying all day. He sounded like such a Old Fart. It is certainly not bad thing to be old (consider the alternative!)...but an Old Fart is another story. This man sounded like the epitome of an Old Fart. Stuck in old ways of thinking. Judgmental. A voice that carries...not realizing (or not caring) that other people can hear him. He must be such an unhappy person.

I was thinking to myself...why do some restaurants and coffee shops have free wi-fi it they don't want you to hang around? Why should he care about something another person does that is so inconsequential? I'm sure he is one of those people that thinks the "world is going to Hell in a hand basket." ...and it all starts by spending all day at a coffee shop.

Dear Lord, may I never become an Old Fart...and if I do...well...help me to keep my Old Fart Thoughts to myself. Amen.

2 comments:

Casdok said...

I also hang out in coffee shops with my son for the same reasons. And yes we also come across Old Farts!!

Kellan said...

Dear Lord - me either!!

Thanks for the prayers for our baby - see you soon. Kellan