This weekend was rough on Kellen. We spent most of it packing up our entire house. As we went from room to room, Kellen followed us. I could tell that he was feeling insecure and at loose ends. I could hardly blame him...all that's left in his room is his bed. No television, no dresser, nothing in his closet. It was stressful for him.About three times over the long weekend I heard him say quietly, "No one gets left behind."
I have never heard him use that phrase before. The more he said it...the more I realized that he was expressing fear. He was feeling unsettled with all of the remodeling and packing going on. He wanted to make sure that he wouldn't be left behind. I reassured him the best I could that he would go with us wherever we would go. I told him that we will be going to stay in a hotel with us this week and it would all be okay.
This morning I started getting curious about where he heard the phrase..."No one gets left behind." Doing what I always do...I googled it. It's from the movie Lilo and Stitch. The entire phrase goes "Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten."
It amazes me how resourceful Kellen is. He feels a feeling and connects it to a movie he has seen. He quotes the movie and is able to express himself.
Amazing.

5 comments:
this is my daughter Mary's favourite movie and she's using it in her year-end assignment that deals with different models of family as found in various media. She gets all teary just talking about Lilo and Stitch. I guess I'll have to watch it some time!
clare
That was really nice - as usual when you share some poignant moment in Kellen's life. Thanks so much.
Very resourceful and amazing!
Hope this reasurance does help him.
That's one of my favorite ways of expressing myself, as well. :-) Much luck with the flooring adventure!
That's just great. You've embarked on a brave journey there!
Post a Comment